We followed Caveman Keto’s recipe for eggs benedict. As we don’t have bacon weaving tools we simply grilled our bacon instead. We also missed off the hollandaise sauce as it turned out to be a bit of disaster as you can see here.
Although we enjoyed the end result, we thought the almond buns were not quite right with this. We’re not sure what would be a better alternative though. Next time we would also grill the cheese onto the buns rather than just adding them to the stack at the end (as we prefer our cheese melted). There are lots of calories in this, but it is very filling (so may last you all day).
- 4 almond buns
- 4 eggs
- 8 slices of cheddar cheese (I used colby)
- 150 g (5.3 oz) of streaky bacon
- 2 servings of hollandaise sauce
- 1 Tbsp of white vinegar
- Make the hollandaise sauce.
- Make the almond buns.
- Preheat the grill to 200 C (390 F).
- Line a baking dish or tray with tin foil. Spread the bacon strips out on the foil, taking care not to overlap them.
- Put the baking dish or tray in the oven, a couple of rungs below the grill.
- Grill the bacon until it is brown and crispy on one side, then turn it and repeat on the other side. Mine usually takes 6-8 minutes per side, but the exact timing will depend on your oven and your own preferences around crispiness.
- Drain the bacon on paper towels.
- Simmer some water and add the vinegar.
- Break the eggs into prep bowls or cups.
- Swirl the water and add the egg yolks (sliding them into the water from the prep bowls or cups). Cook the eggs for three minutes.
- Place a few strips of bacon on top of the almond buns, then the cheese slices, and top each bun with a cooked egg.
- Drizzle with the hollandaise sauce and serve.
|Per serving (1/2)||983||4||0||4||91||39|